Practice your cable knitting skills, while quickly creating the ultimate winter accessory – the knit beanie! Chic, yet timeless, the Mali beanie combines a repeating open cable with the twisted knit stitch. This beanie is so much fun to knit up and sure to impress!
This hat is knit in the round (from the bottom up) on circular knitting needles, switching to double pointed needles when necessary during the decreasing of stitches for shaping the top.
- Hat requires approximately 1.25 skeins (140 yards) of Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Tweed Worsted Weight Yarn. Colours in photos are (Down Heather and North Pole Heather).
- Size 4 (3.5 mm) 16” circular knitting needles.
- Size 8 (5 mm) 16” circular knitting needles.
- Size 8 (5 mm) double pointed knitting needles.
- Cable Needle.
- Stitch markers.
- Yarn needle for weaving in ends.
- Pompoms and buttons (optional).
Size: Adult only (head circumference of 22 inches).
To make this hat, you will need some experience with:
• Basic knitting stitches (knit and purl) as well as slightly more advanced stitches (i.e. knitting through the back loop and knitting two stitches together decrease).
• Knitting in the round.
• Knitting cabled stitches with a cable hook (also called cable needle or cable stitch holder).